Sunday, August 2, 2009

My Projects

I have learned so much during this course and am certain to incorporate many things into my work throughout the school year. Some things I will not be able to implement right away, like using Google Earth for a class activity, because I will have to check out what resources will be available to me this year. Additionally, knowing that about 25% of my students do not have computer access limits how much I can ask them to do. With that in mind here are a few things that I will be able to do at the start of this year;

1) I took a webinar on setting up a class wiki and began one through wikispaces for an AVID class I will be teaching. AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) is a class that prepares students for college. I am hoping this wiki will be a place where they can share ideas about colleges, the application process, and work on projects together.

It is in a very rough form right now because it will be a few weeks before I return to school and access the curriculum for this class, but feel free to take a look and offer any ideas for OsmansClass wiki

2) I also attended curriculum training this summer and have been asked to help explain how to navigate the new district curriculum site. I used Jing to create one screencast for this so far and intend to create at least one more. I will try to work with the editing tools to improve the one I created and plan to share them at the district inservice in August. My Screencast

3) Last spring I started an account with Teacherweb but did not really use it very much. I decided that I would incorporate what I learned to maximize the use of this site.

I started by having a blog page be my first page so that I could blog about what is happening in class in an effort to get parents involved and serve as a way of letting kids who were absent know what they missed. I also embedded a video to share at the beginning of the year.

I also updated the calendar for the year and included many relevant links for the kids.

Take a look at my Teacherweb

2 comments:

  1. I looked at your wiki and your Teacherweb. Both are very well done. I liked the survey part of the Teacherweb site and think it will give you some valuable data. Good luck with all your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Mary. Great way to put your screencasting skills into action (section 2), they're going to be impressed in that inservice... Good luck!

    ReplyDelete